[lit-ideas] Re: Meta-Odic

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 08:54:29 -0400 (EDT)

"Odic" is Greek for song; and 'meta-' means '... of.' 'Meta-odic' is
however, NOT 'song of songs', but song about a song.

Example:

Annie Laurie.

Now, the appropriately satirical song "Transport of Delight" by Flanders
and Swann contains the couplet:

"Some people like a Motorbike, some say, 'A Tram for me!'
Or for a Bonny Army Lorry they wad lay them doon and dee"

For the record,  the version on their early "At the Drop of a Hat" is:

"Some talk of a Lagonda, some like a smart MG
For a bonny Army lorry they'd lay them doon and dee."

I find that phrase genial: 'doon and dee', as many other Scotch turns of
phrase. And note that Scotch was the original language spoken by the Angles,
some argue.

There is an excellent recording of the original song by Mitch Miller (and
his male chorale gang) which is both phonetically emphatic and well
rhythmic.

Cheers,

Speranza