[lit-ideas] Re: Men are NOT useless

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:34:01 -0500

She
> >isn't against men.  She isn't against women either.  She thinks the
women's
> >movement failed.  She's just analyzing the new situation the way she sees
> >it.  The statements about Bush stand, but it does make me want to go to
the
> >library and see if they have the book.  If they do, maybe I'll read it.
> >But trust me, Paul, you guys are wonderful.  And trust me also, Maureen
> >would agree.
>
> I just think she needs to take her tongue OUT of its permanent fixture in
> her lovely soft cheek.

I couldn't stand her for years for the pointless, unfounded attacks she did
on Clinton.  I called her Moron Dowd.  But, I also didn't like William
Safire even more.  People cut Safire more slack than they cut Maureen.
It's tough being profound on a bi-weekly basis.  She has to grate or she'd
out of a job.  Also, the thing about the Y chromosome was an off hand
remark.

A lot of the times she talks, it doesn't SEEM like
> she's joking even though I suspect she might be trying to. Her writing
> ranges [judging from the numerous articles I've read in the past 10
years]
> from inane to mildly astute to ridiculous forecasting. I don't much like
> most of her ideas.
>
> As for the feminization of society... it's already happened. Its effects
> might even have more inertia than 'global warming',

Not necessarily a bad thing.  Men are brutalized in this and all societies.
The more brutalized men are, the more restricted the society, case in
point, the Islamist societies; it doesn't get more macho or more restricted
than that.  Men are raised to play a role, just like women.  Playing a role
means the real person underneath isn't good enough.  We live in a world
where people aren't good enough the way they are.  Toughen up! Be a man!
Meaning, don't cry, etc.

but whatever. I think
> men can still be men without acting like macho jackasses.

Absolutely.  The goal of the original feminists, as I understand it, was
that men could be men without acting like macho jackasses. That's dead and
buried.  Now even women are playing cuddly bunny with an epidemic of
implants.  Result: everybody loses themselves in this maze of masks.

The jackass part
> is only PART of who we are.

Yin/Yang is I believe the idea.

Irene