[lit-ideas] Memoirs D'Une Normalienne (Was: Diary of a Public School Girl

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:55:25 EDT

Candle in the Wind: *Norma* Jeane Mortenson (Was: *Normal*  Schooling?)

The OED reads for 'normal':

      ‘which serves as a model’ (1793 in école normale)

and which incidentally gives the date for the first collocation of the
expression.

          école normale school for the training of  teachers,
          the first of which  was set up by decree in 1794,
          and later became  dedicated to training teachers for
          secondary education  and thus (from 1845) called
          the Ecole Normale  Supérieure.

I suppose in those revolutionary days it was quite a task to 'set the  model'
-- Imagine burning all the history books making an icon of Marie  Antoinette
and all that. Palma was yet not born, but he gets the feeling.

It should not surprise us then that the first use was in "American"  English.
There's also a quote from an Edinburgh review which only goes to show  that
the Scots always felt closer to the French than to the English -- as I hope
you'll agree if you've seen, as I did yesterday, Cate Blanchet's "Elizabeth:
the
 golden age" -- Beautiful:

    1834  Edinb. Rev. July 491 The system  of Primary Schools, which the
French..have..denominated Normal.

The only English-based quotes are the tricky one about "the Normal School  of
Design" which we are not told when it was found, but I'm not so interested
now guessing that the idea was that it was to be a 'model' (for other
schools?):

1960 S.  J. CURTIS & M. E. A. BOULTWOOD  Introd. Hist. Eng. Educ. xii. 278
The Normal School of Design became the Royal  College of Art in 1896.

and this one from "Holy Terror" (1939) by Wells. Wells was an acid,  resented
character as he tried to make his way into the intelligentsia, so I  would
take his remarks with a 'pinch of salt', as the normaliennes would  say:

"An increasing number of women are taking up professions now;  at
architecture, catering, various industries, normal teaching..they are
practically as
good as men or better."

No, that this is a girl-thing should be clear by the fact that only "Norma"
in the feminine is a first-name, never Normo, or Normus.

Cheers,

JL