[lit-ideas] Re: Man dies trying to save his dog

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 21:45:54 +0200
On 28 May 2014, at 17:53, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.nbc-2.com/story/25612599/man-dies-saving-his-drowning-dog#.U4YF2ijySSo

There's that awful story by Graham Greene about a man, a dog and a bridge
-"Across the Bridge", I think.

And the quotation from it:

"I suppose it was only one more indication of a human being's capacity of
self-deception, our baseless optimism that is so much more appalling than our
despair."

Chris Bruce,
preparing to switch his list subscription to 'vacation' mode, and
optimistically head off to England for 2 weeks, but currently still in
Kiel, Germany