[lit-ideas] Re: Ludwig and Bertie

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:54:27 -0700

Inspired by a recent article in the "New Yorker" (April 19 and 26), which
described a fellow who, worried that he might be caught in need of fun while
he was bereft both of inspiration and model, was sensible enough to buy one
complete set of P.G. Wodehouse for the downstairs area of his house and
another for the upstairs, I went to Abebooks to see if I could find a
complete set at a reasonable price.  I found none.  Please alert me if you
find one.

I did, however, discover (and fail to buy):

Programme for "Ludwig And Bertie" by Justin Greene.
Birkbeck College, London 1982. A one-act play, with the characters Ludwig
Wittgenstein, Bertie Wooster, Bertrand Russell and Jeeves, set in a library
sometime around 1911. Produced by the college Philosophy Society. Surely
time for a revival! Fine A4 mimeographed sheet, folded
Bookseller Inventory #54565

Price: US$ 18.24 (Convert Currency)

Bookseller: Nigel Williams First Editions, ABA, ILAB, 25 Cecil Court,
Charing Cross Road, London, , United Kingdom, WC2N 4EZ

Does anyone on the list know anyone who might have known someone who saw the
play?  Was it good?  Is it time for a revival?

David Ritchie, ABBA, Status Quo, etc.
Department of Eccentricity
Life Sciences and Arts University
Portland, Oregon