[lit-ideas] Re: Low-caste Hindus convert en masse -

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:18:05 -0230

Suppose someone were to aver: "There is no true freedom of religion in a
democracy if there is no freedom to burn heretics and apostates as required by
our religion." What would the proper response be to such a claim?

(A milder version: "The teaching of autonomy and critical thought in the public
schools of a democracy violates our freedom to religious expression. The truth
is in scripture and individuals in our faith have no moral right to believe
that they are free to choose their own lifestyle after examining a variety of
different religious and cultural "options." Secular humanism and the precepts
of a liberal education, along with Harry Potter in the schools, contradict the
essential character of a multiculturallly pluralist democracy."

Walter O.
Memorial U.

Quoting JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx:

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061014/india_nm/india272240;_ylt=Ai6upwTHZ5TYl1phK4wWSq0DW7oF;_