[lit-ideas] Re: Looking into the heart of light, the silence

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:35:14 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/26/2013 8:19:05 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Harold Bloom’s  view, based on his A Map of Misreading might say that T. S.
Eliot has nothing to  be ashamed of.
---

My impressions are other. They are filmic, and come from "Tom and Viv". It
caused a lot of controversy. I read from the Washington Post:

"{The last] Mrs. Eliot rarely gave interviews but did speak to the
Independent in 1994 on the release of the movie “Tom and Viv,” which portrayed
the poet’s first wife as an adventurous spirit neglected by an unfeeling
husband. Mrs. Eliot defended T.S. Eliot against the allegation of neglect in
his
 first marriage [to English aristocrat

"“Tom tried very hard and for a very long time to make a go of it, and he’
s  never given credit for that, is he?” she said."

The Wikipedia entry for Viv adds:

"The couple [Eliot and first wife] were married after three months, on  26
June 1915, at Hampstead Register Office in London, with Lucy Ely Thayer,
Scofield's sister with whom Vivienne had become close, and Vivienne's aunt,
Lillia C. Symes, as witnesses. Eliot signed himself as of "no occupation,"
and  described his father as a brick manufacturer. Neither of them told their
parents."

From what I recall about the film, her parents were _not_ amused.

And one of the best scenes is a dialogue between Eliot and Viv's  mother,
played by Rosemary Harris -- about whom the Wikipedia says, "Rosemary  Ann
Harris (born 19 September 1927) is an English actress and a member of the
American Theatre Hall of Fame.[1] She has been nominated for an Academy Award
and a BAFTA Award and has won a Golden Globe, an Emmy, a Tony Award, an
Obie,  and five Drama Desk Awards."

Cheers,

Speranza