[lit-ideas] Re: Listed Buildings

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:25:54 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/2010 2:02:53, ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I  decided I wanted to know how many grades of listed building there
actually are.  The answer is "two...sort of."  There's grade one  and
grade two.

----

Isn't this going TOO strong by the Establishment?

Why can't I speak  of Grade 3, Grade 4, etc.

"a Grade I listed building"

"a Grade II listed building"

------

"a Grade III listed building"

"a Grade IV listed building"

"a Grade V listed building"

"a Grade VI listed building"

"a Grade VII listed building"

"a Grade VIII listed building"

"a Grade IX listed building"

"a Grade X listed building"

"a Grade XI listed building"

"a Grade XII listed building"

------

How did I get that? The answer is simple. I apply Giuseppe Peano's
recursive loop. He defines an expression (I just used "Grade N listed
building")
for any N which stands for the variables.

In fact, "Grade I" and "Grade II" are now seen as concrete instantiations
of "Grade N" listed building.

We provide by mathematical induction:

With N = 1

we get:

"a Grade I listed bulding"

We apply Peano's first axiom and we get, simply enough:

"a Grade II listed building".

While most civil servants stop at that, I'm not (one), so I proceed,
naturally enough, using Peano's generation of natural-language sequences.

The possibility of having "Grade N listed buildings" is the dream of the
urban architect.

--- Ritchie may wonder, "And where are those buildings listed?" -- but
that's neither here nor there.

Donal McEvoy may object that this creates a "Meinongian jungle" --  but
this is NOT a philosophical objection.

J. L. Speranza