[lit-ideas] Lingua Adamica

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:24:44 EDT

More on lingua adamica.

As this is understood in

 (http://www.springerlink.com/index/gu22m546n7pn7777.pdf)

_www.springerlink.com/index/gu22m546n7pn7777.pdf_
(http://www.springerlink.com/index/gu22m546n7pn7777.pdf)

the lingua adamica  was:

a primordial  language, a medium of direct communication with God .... were
meant as a  direct instruction of the lingua adamica. ...

while

_www.ascentofhumanity.com/chapter7-10.php_
(http://www.ascentofhumanity.com/chapter7-10.php)
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.ascentofhumanity.com/chapter7-10.php)

suggests that

"we could perhaps return to the lingua  adamica[48], abandoning
representational language and all the  technology that rests upon it.

Sounds interesting to me. Adam is often scorned on the fact  that he never
asked Eve's opinion when he started to name "every living creature  in the
Garden". A share in the proceedings would have been just fair.

Good night.

JL

----

_http://www.springerlink.com/content/gu22m546n7pn7777/_
(http://www.springerlink.com/content/gu22m546n7pn7777/)
Two recent monographs have shown once again that John Dee is  worthy of the
attention of scholars from many different fields of studies, since  he was
himself involved in the whole spectrum of Renaissance  scholarship.1 In his
early
career he had had a humanistic orientation  and focused on mathematics but
from the 1580s he gave up these endeavours and  almost entirely involved
himself
with angel magic, that is to say spiritual  séances, or in Dee’s terminology “
angelic conversations”. During these  “conversations”, Dee – aided by
certain rituals, paraphernalia (including a  crystal ball or “shewstone”), and
medium, or “scryer” – tried to gain various  pieces of information from the
celestial beings.