[lit-ideas] Re: Like, way out

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:24:06 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I heard a discussion recently on the way the language is evolving.  It seems
that "like" is now passe too.  Let's see if I can do this.  Old:  I said to
him, like, let's [whatever].  New: I'm all, let's [whatever].  Apparently, the
younger ones don't even know like anymore.  Makes me, like, sad, especially
since I can't quite get the cadence of "all".  It seems too that the language
is generally dumbing down, which we all knew.  Pardon me.  The language is all
dumbing down.  The distinction between the written language and spoken language
is now gone, evaporated along with Patrician English, last used by FDR and his
ilk.  Apparently the kids who are now using "all" don't even see it as slang.
They see it as a helper verb.  I wonder how long before it enters the grammar
books.

Given that I'm just now catching on to "cool", this is very depressing news.

Radically, or "Rad",
Andy Amago
With a day off but still with a mountain of work