[lit-ideas] Re: Life or Death

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:29:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----

Cost-benefit.  The costs may be better allocated elsewhere, like into PSA's
geared to preventive eating and exercise.  For the few it saves, many more may
die because of inadequate prevention.

>> A.A.  Environmental causes of breast cancer are unclear.  If
>heredity were the only factor, it would be pretty hopeless.
>
>Some cases of breast cancer are, quite simply, pretty hopeless.
>Some (apparently)
>require (in the US, anyway) the prophylactic removal of the
>ovaries and womb.

I never heard that.

>> A.A. Presumably therefore you are investigating the reasons
>behind falling and getting >injured?
>
>Behind my falling?  No.  There's no continuing cause of falling
>as there are
>no continuing falls.

You said your osteoarthritis was caused by falls.  Falls is plural.  Maybe you
just ran into some bad luck.

>Irene, you might just as well
>insist that
>I look into the reasons why my mother was in the car crash that
>caused
>her neck arthritis.

"Arthritis" is caused by injuries.  Osteoarthritis is not.  It's a "wear and
tear" arthritis, misnamed in my opinion since studies have shown that men who
are runners have *less* hip arthritis than men who are not runners.  Exercise
is a way of getting blood and nutrients into the joints.  OA is multifactorial;
injuries is not a factor.

>>  >I've never heard that osteoarthritis is caused by falls.
>> >Arthritis, not osteoarthritis, is caused by injury to joints
>
>(I think we agree you were wrong when you said "arthritis, not
>osteoarthritis")
>osteoarthritis can be caused by injury/injuries and falls can
>cause injuries.

Where are you getting that OA is caused by injuries?

>>Doctors can hand out pills to supposedly reduce inflammation,
>>which ultimately backfires and makes the situaion worse, or they
>>can do surgery.
>
>to me, you mean?

In general.

>IOW,
>doctors can
>do more than operate or suggest medication.

Physical therapy maybe.  Beyond that, what can they do?

>> I suppose Tony Snow is one of the statistics regarding the
>futility of testing
>
>Many people with cancer are testimony to its non-futility, as are
>many with diabetes.
>You might want to distinguish between mass screening of the
>asymptomatic, and
>diagnostic testing of the sick.

Diagnostic testing of the sick doesn't help them get well.  It only "manages"
their condition, which is to say, dispenses varying degress of insulin (hands
out drugs).  Only weight loss and exercise can erase diabetes, and only before
the damage to the pancreas is too extensive.  Medical care keeps people alive
despite their best efforts to keep themselves sick.  People like Tony Snow are
not helped significantly by medical care, which is to say, his cancer is still
prominent and getting worse, and presumably he's getting the best care
available.  We'll have to see how he does.