[lit-ideas] Let's Face The Music (And Dance)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:03:02 EDT

Newyorkrican

In a message dated 6/10/2009 4:42:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
This from Camille  Paglia.

______

Sotomayor's vainglorious lecture bromide about  herself as "a
wise Latina" trumping white men is a vulgar  embarrassment
----

She has elsewhere said,

"I'm not a _mere_  Hispanic. I'm not Mexican. I'm not Puerto-Rican: I'm a
Rican-Yorker. We have to  distinguish between Puerto-Ricans born in Puerto
Rico, Puerto-Ricans born in  NYC, and me, born in NYC but of _parents_
emigrated during the second world war.  Quite a difference."

Oddly, Josefina Scaglione, of Argentina, is playing  a Puerto-Rican in
"West Side Story" as I write this. She said, "I can't do the  accent; but then,
I've never been to Puerto Rico, nor do I intend to!" (She is  from Trelew,
Welsh Argentina -- almost).

----
Who am I? I am a  "Newyorkrican." For those of you on the West Coast who do
not know what that  term means: I am a born and bred New Yorker of Puerto
Rican-born parents who  came to the states during World War II.
----

Oddly, Paglia, means 'hay' in Italian, hence 'pagliaccio', the hay-man. But
 I'm sure she does not identify as 'dago'! (I don't use the term
offensively, I  just quote it! and it's so old-fashioned it hurts).

Astaire was great, but my love goes for "Adele"! She _was_ the one, before
she got replaced by that Rogers girl.

The Aster siblings tripped London so often...

J L Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina

fingertips.