[lit-ideas] Re: Leftovers

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:25:22 +0000 (GMT)

I'm a woman who went through an anti-leftover phase.  Leftovers = having no
money + postwar austerity. Pre-phase, though, I'd loved bubble and squeak, and
I still do.

 to recycle roast
> meat into stews and curries, to stuff last night's veggies
> into a tortilla, add hot sauce and call it good.

leftover veg fryups/"frittata"/"Spanish omelettes" are great (some of my
concoctions are pretty gruesome, actually... but I still eat them).  I've never
really taken to (shades of childhood ugh) leftover English Curry, roast meat,
bright yellow curry powder, onions, cubed apples... .

Wartime was worse, though, surely? Woolton Pie, e.g.. I'd expect a rather
younger group -- Eighties on -- to be the most anti-leftover.

Judy Evans, Cardiff