[lit-ideas] Re: La Stupenda

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:08:51 +0200

On 12-Oct-10, at 3:43 AM, Veronica Caley wrote:

As have many novelists, instrumentalists and actors. I would never try to physically go near them. What for?

Fortunately, I learned my lesson about approaching revered artists vicariously (thank goodness) through an account by someone writing in the Guardian Weekly.

This journalist, vacationing somewhere on the coast (of ???), spotted someone standing out on a spit of land and, on nearer approach, recognized him from publicity photographs.

"I say, you're Arthur Ransome, aren't you.?" Upon receiving a mumbled assertion, the journalist plucked up the courage to continue, " I just want to thank you for all the pleasure you brought to my childhood through your books."

To which AR replied:

"Sod off!"

Chris Bruce, who can only imagine
what a meeting with Iris Murdoch