[lit-ideas] "King of England"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:21:48 EST

I was reading a publication which (perhaps rather typically?) referred to
Charles as 'the future king of England', or words to that effect. I was
thinking. Literally, the monarch is 'monarch of the United Kingdom', not
England  (or
Wales, or Scotland). But I was wondering if, as a matter of logic, it can be
said that, say, Elizabeth, _is_ Queen of England, since she is Queen of the
United Kingdom (and, as Gotlob Frege and other logicians would say, England
falls within the _denotation_ of United Kingdom, or 'is part of' the United
Kingdom).

I wonder if the reluctance to say that the Queen is the Queen of England is
a prejudice based on implicature or entailment?

Sorry for vague wording, but hopefully you'll get my gist,

Cheers,

JL

          from the country  where Evita once reigned.