[lit-ideas] Kataphasis/Apophasis

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 19:21:44 EDT

A Natural history of Apophasis: on '~', '¬', and '-'

Phil Enns writes:

>>three ways of 'knowing' God are distinguished.  The  first
>>is kataphatic, which affirms the ability to make positive  statements
>>about God.  The second is via negativa, which affirms  that only negative
>>statements can be made about God.  This is  often confused with apophatic
>>theology.  Apophatic theology  asserts that not even negative statements
>>can be said of God.   At first glance there may not seem to be much of a
>>difference between  via negativa and apophatic theology, which would
>>explain why they are  often used confused with each other, but there is.
>>One might say that  via negativa belongs to the Aristotelian tradition
>>that comes to  dominate Christian theology after Duns Scotus while
>>apophatic  theology belongs to the Platonic tradition, which finds its
>>fullest  expression in Aquinas.

M. Chase comments:

>Thanks to Phil for his learned exposition. I'm not sure,  however,
>that the distinction negative vs. apophatic theology is really a  valid
>one: isn't "negative" simply a translation of the Greek  *apophatikos*?

I second M. Chase.

Whatever the identification or development of each doctrine in the  different
traditions, there does not seem to be a _logical_ point in  distinguishing a
_third_ way, as it were, between _affirmatio_ (kataphasis) and  _negatio_
(apophasis).

Suppose we symbolise 'God' by 'g'.

We have different predicates which can or can not be attributed to 'g'.
Following Russell/Whitehead, we may symbolize them by "F", "G", ...

Suppose we say

Fg

"g is F"

That would certainly be an 'affirmatio' (kataphasis).

The corresponding negative must rely, of course, on the use of "~":

~Fg

Perhaps the relevance of a _third_ way may have to do with the idea that
there are two _senses_ (or, as I prefer, 'uses') of '~'. Some authors have even

suggested two different ways of formalizing:

¬

-- making a distinction between ~Fg and

¬Fg

-- These theorists would suggest that there's a neutral use, to be
symbolised by '-', that may come out as "~" and "¬" on occasion.

These may have a bearing with the distinction between 'negative' and
'apophatic'. If 'negative' is understood as presupposition-carrying, then to
say  ~Fg
is like saying "The king of France is not bald" -- which _is_ saying
something about something (Ditto for God: "God is omniscient", say).

The 'negative' way, on the other hand, would maintain that negation need  not
carry presupposition (and that "¬", rather than "~") should be used: "God is
not omniscient" would not  _negate_ a predicate of the subject -- God -- since
it is not commital as  to the existence of a referent for "God" -- "The king
of France is not bald;  indeed, there is no King of France".

Cheers,

JL