[lit-ideas] Re: Just the facts about the proverbial elephant, ma'am

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:23:19 EST

Odd.  The earliest versions I have seen of this are entrenched in  Islamic
mysticism.  Rumi, a Sufi, is sometimes credited with the poem, but  it appears
it existed in middle-eastern legend before his time.

_http://www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Sufi.html_ (http:
//www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Sufi.html)

The Blind Men and the Elephant in Islamic thought.
(note - the following is taken from Fritz Meier The Problem  of Nature in the
Esoteric Monism of Islam    For the sake of  brevity I have deleted most of
the writers commentaries, but retained the  translations of the various
versions of the story.  I canât remember where  I photocopied the article
from, but
it was probably a volume of the Eranos  Yearbooks - _M.A.K._
(http://www.kheper.net/aboutme/aboutme.html) )
The legend of the Blind Men and the Elephant originated in the Pali Buddhist
Udana, which was apparently compiled in the second century b.c.e.  It  spread
to Islam _[1]_
(http://www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Sufi.html#Rhys_Davids)
through the work of the orthodox Sufi theologian  _Muhammad
al-Ghazzali_ (http://www.oman-net.com/msp/ghazali.htm)  (1058-1128 c.e.), in
his
Theology Revived.    Ghazzali refers to the tale in a discussion on the
problem of human action, a  problem in which the inadequacy of natural reason
becomes most evident.   This is his version _[2]_
(http://www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Sufi.html#al-Ghazzali)  of
the fable:
A community of blind men once heard that an extraordinary beast  called an
elephant had been brought into the country. Since they did not know  what it
looked like and had never heard its name, they resolved to obtain a  picture,
and
the knowledge they desired, by feeling the beast - the only  possibility that
was open to them! They went in search of the elephant, and  when they had
found it, they felt its body. One touched its leg, the other a  tusk, the third
an ear, and in the belief that they now knew the elephant,  they returned home.
But when they were questioned by the other blind men,  their answers
differed. The one who had felt the leg maintained that the  elephant was
nothing other
than a pillar, extremely rough to the touch, and  yet strangely soft. The one
who had caught hold of the tusk denied this and  described the elephant as,
hard and smooth, with nothing soft or rough about  it, more over the beast was
by no means as stout as a pillar, but rather had  the shape of a post ['amud].
The third, who had held the ear in his  hands, spoke: "By my faith, it is
both soft and rough." Thus he agreed with  one of the others, but went on to
say:
 Nevertheless, it is neither like  a post nor a pillar, but like a broad,
thick piece of leather." Each was right  in a certain sense, since each of them
communicated that part of the elephant  he had comprehended, but none was able
describe the elephant as it really was;  for all three of them were unable to
comprehend the entire form of the  elephant.
The legend was also used by the Persian poet Sana'i (died probably 545
a.h./1150 c.e.), also as an illustration of the inadequacy of human  reason.
The
great Sufi master _Jalal  ud-din-i Rumi_
(http://www.kheper.net/topics/topics/Islamic_esotericism/Sufism/Rumi.htm)
(1207-1273 c.e.) is another who uses the
story _[5]_
(http://www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Sufi.html#Mathnawi) ; in
his Mathnawi.  He likens those who cannot agree about the
eternally immutable God, those in whom the spiritual eye has not yet awakened,
to a
group of people who seek an elephant in a dark room, and try to determine  its
appearance by touch alone.  Naturally, each one comes to a different
conclusion, according to the part of the animalâs body that they feel.
The elephant was in a dark house; some Hindus had brought it for  exhibition.
In order to see it, many people were going, every one, into  that darkness.
As seeing it with the eye was impossible, [each one] was  feeling it in the
dark with the palm of his hand..
The hand of one fell on  its trunk; he said: "This creature is like a
water-pipe."
The hand of  another touched its ear: to him it appeared to be like a fan.
Since  another handled its leg, he said: "I found the elephant's shape to be
like a  pillar."
Another laid his hand on its back: he said, "Truly, this elephant  was like a
throne."
Similarly, whenever anyone heard [a description of the  elephant]. he
understood [it only in respect of] the part that he had touched.
On account of the [diverse] place [object] of view, their statements
differed: one man titled it "dal _[3]_
(http://www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Sufi.html#dal) ,"  another
"alif."
If there had been a candle in each one's hand, the  difference would have
gone out of their words.
The Persian mystic and philosopher `Aziz ibn-Muhammad-I Nasafi (7th century
a.h./13th century c.e.) was yet another profound thinker who made reference to
 this parable, this time in the context of criticism of exoteric
theologians.  According to Nasafi, these theologians have grasped only a  part
of the
object of their study, but claim this part represents the whole.  Since the
whole
consists of different parts, the result is bound to be false and  one-sided;
and hence each contradicts the others. The battle of theological  opinions can
only be arbitrated only by one who knows the relation between the  parts,
that is, the esoteric seer who has preserved or acquired an ability to  see the
whole.  In this context, Nasafi tells the legend _[4]_
(http://www.kheper.net/topics/blind_men_and_elephant/Sufi.html#Aziz-I_Nasafi)
of the blind men and
the elephant. The blind men symbolize the  theologians and exoteric thinkers,
the elephant represents God or the truth:
Once there was a city, the inhabitants of which were all blind.  They had
heard of elephants and were curious to see [sic] one face to face.  They were
still full of this desire when one day a caravan arrived and camped  outside
the
city. There was an elephant in the caravan. When the inhabitants  of the city
heard there was an elephant in the caravan, the wisest and most  intelligent
men of the city decided to go out and see the elephant. A number  of them left
the city and went to the place where the elephant was. One  stretched out his
hands, grasped the elephant's ear, and perceived something  resembling a
shield. This man decided that the elephant looked like a shield.  Another
stretched
out his hands, grasped the elephant's trunk, and perceived  something
resembling a club ['amud]. This man decided that the elephant  looked like a
club. A
third stretched out his hands, grasped the elephant's  leg, and perceived
something like a pillar [`imad].  He decided  that the elephant looked like a
pillar. A fourth stretched his hands, grasped  the elephant's back, and
perceived
something like a seat [takht]. He  decided that the elephant looked like a
seat. Delighted, they all returned to  the city. After e one had gone back to
his
quarter, the people asked: "Did see  the elephant?" Each one answered yes.
They asked: "What does he look like?  What kind of shape has he?" Then one I in
his quarter replied: "The elephant  looks like a shield.  And the second man
in the second quarter: "The  elephant looks like a club." The third man in the
third quarter: "The elephant  looks like a pillar." And the fourth man in
fourth quarter: "The elephant  looks like a seat." And inhabitants of each
quarter
formed their opinion in  accord; with what they had heard.

Now when the different conceptions  came into contact with one another, it
became evident that they were  contradictory. Each blind man found fault with
the next, and began to advance  proofs in support of his own view and in
confutation of the views of the  others. They called these proofs rational and
scriptural proofs. One said: "It  is written in war the elephant is sent out
ahead
of the army. Consequently the  elephant must be a kind of shield." The second
said: "It is written that in  war the elephant hurls himself at the hostile
army and that the hostile army  is thereby shattered.  Consequently the
elephant
must be a kind of club."  The said: "It is written that the elephant carries a
weight thousand men and  more without effort. Consequently the elephant must
be a kind of pillar." The  fourth said: "It is written that so and so many
people can sit in comfort on  an elephant. Consequently the elephant must be a
kind of seat."

Now  you yourself consider whether such proofs they can ever penetrate to the
 object of demonstrations, the elephant, and whether with such proofs they
can  ever arrive at the correct conclusion. Every rational man knows that the
more  proofs of this sort they advance, the farther they will be from knowledge
of  the elephant they can never arrive at the object of their demonstrations,
the  elephant, and consequently that the conflict in opinions will never be
relieved, hut will become more and more pronounced.

But know this:  Suppose by the grace of God one of them is made seeing so
that he perceives  and knows the elephant as it really is, and says to them:
"In
what you have  said of the elephant, you have indeed grasped some aspect of
the elephant, but  you do not know the rest. God has given me sight, I have
seen
and come to know  the elephant as it really is." They will not even believe
the seeing man, but  will say: "You claim that God has given you sight, but
that is only your  imagination. Your brain is defective, and madness assails
you.
It is we who  are the seeing." Only some few accept the word of the seer, for
it is written  in the Koran: "But few of my servants are the thankful" [Sura
34:13]. The  others persist in their stupidity coupled with arrogance, refuse
to be  in-structed, and call those among them who hear and accept the word of
the  seer, and who agree with the seer, unbelievers and heretics. But this
only  shows that "to hear about a thing is not the same as to see it for
yourself."