[lit-ideas] Re: Just read a novel

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:20:24 -0230

A little while back, a friend presented me with a novel for a gift. At first, I
didn't know what to do with it. I decided to leave it on the night-table next
to the bed. Over the past 6 weeks, I would read a page or 2 in bed to help me
fall asleep quicker. Last night I finished it. The title is *The Sunday
Philosophy Club* by Alexander McCall Smith. I'm just wondering: now that I've
finished the novel, what does one do? Is it a good novel? How does one tell? I,
myself, am not clear on whether I liked it or not. Nor am I clear on whether
I've benefited from that literary experience. Is there a point to novels I'm
missing? (And how is it that at some universities today, you can write a novel
instead of a dissertation for a doctoral degree?? Does literature actually
count as a form of knoweledge in these pomo days?)

Perplexed in St. John's, NL

Walter O.
Memorial U.