[lit-ideas] Re: JFK papers, photos to be put on Internet

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 19:21:52 -0700 (PDT)

Kennedy never wanted to be president.  JFK wanted to be a writer.  The father
groomed Jack's older brother literally from birth for the job.  When Joe was
killed in WWII, his father chose Jack who was just a default.  When I was at
the JFK library in Boston last year I realized that the poor guy always felt
inferior to his older brother.  It was hard being JFK, truly.  He had a very
tragic life and then was assassinated.  I guess the optimists out there will
see it differently.  The tragic part I got from the pessimists at the History
Channel.

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:
      Click here: JFK papers, photos to be put on Internet - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060608/ap_on_hi_te/brf_jfk_library_online;_ylt=AuFOWuFjoJXGv8QARqa9wZkDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDJjOXUyBHNlYwNtdm5ld3M-
  12 minutes ago
  BOSTON - The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum is launching a
massive project to post 48 million pages of documents, 400,000 photos and 1,200
hours of video on the Internet.
  The late president's papers will be digitized first, and could be available
on the Internet in 18 months, said Allan B. Goodrich, the library's chief
archivist.
  The entire projects, which also includes 7.5 million feet of motion-picture
film and 9,000 hours of audio recordings, is expected to take a decade to
complete.
  "President Kennedy loved history and drew inspiration from it. Hopefully, by
making these collections widely available, we can inspire new generations in
many lands," the late president's youngest brother, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy
(news, bio, voting record), said Wednesday.
  The JFK Library undertaking will serve as a pilot program for a presidential
library system that has more than 400 million papers, said Sharon Fawcett,
assistant archivist at the National Archives and Records Administration, which
has responsibility for all 12 presidential libraries.
  The project will uses computer equipment and technical support donated by EMC
Corp. in Hopkinton.

http://mail.yahoo.com