[lit-ideas] Re: "It's not a magic bullet, but it's a vital tool,"

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 20:22:06 EST

And *I'm* in information overload???

Yeah -- my daughters use text messaging to keep in contact with me when
other venues don't suit the environment -- Dad won't let her call, needs
something urgently during a class at high school, and likewise -- I use it as a

shorthand to lt them know something urgent when I'm not able to call from the
law
office, because I'm on two phone lines, checking data via law software,
checking my home voice-mail, and sending messages to other staff members in the

law office.  Instant messaging is taking over the intercom, for sure.   And
then
there's tele-conferencing....

And all I wanted to do was read a good book....

Julie Krueger
still torn between antiquities and new tech

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: "It's not a magic
bullet, but it's a vital  tool,"  Date: 1/31/2007 1:45:21 A.M. Central
Standard Time  From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
> Cell phones play vital role in developing  world...

A quarter million "phone ladies" buy mobile phones on credit  from Grameen
Bank...

Totally cool. A whole new form of  business.

How many of you are using text messaging on your cell phones?  It's
widespread in SV. I was
at a conf a few days ago. Whenever the speaker  got boring ("blah, blah,
blah"), many people
in the audience would go back  to their PDAs and send/receive txt msgs. If
you're in the
audience, you  can't talk on your cellphone, but you can certainly txt msg.

We also IM  during conf calls. There can be multiple simultaneous IM chats
during the conf
call. One chat has all the attendees. Another chat for my team. Another chat
with one other
person. And so on. And since you can send files via IM, we  talk and send
files
simultaneously.

Have you downloaded Google Maps  into your PDAs yet? It's not just better.
It's way better
than any other map  tool for PDA/cellphones. It even shows satellite photos
on your  PDA.

http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html

yrs,
andreas