[lit-ideas] Re: Is 'All men are immortal' unscientific?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:22:48 -0230

OK, here's my quarter, I'll take a shot.

As stated, the proposition is ambiguous. The proposition could be an empirical
(scientific) claim or it could be a transcendental claim. In the former case,
it makes sense to investigate whether any particular man has never died. I
assume interviewing techniques and documentary analysis would be relevant
research methodologies. Inquiry, the search for truth, is here the search for a
contingent fact.

In the latter case, the claim says that if you find some entity that is mortal,
it's not possible for that entity to be a man. As a transcendental claim, it
expresses a universal and necessary truth; being outside the realm of
contingency it entails that no empirical inquiry is required, or possible.

Did I win? (Consolation prizes also gratefully accepted.)

Walter O.
MUN