[lit-ideas] Re: Iranian hand in the Iraqi "uprising"

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:17:41 -0700 (PDT)

The sole evidence offered for the "Iranian hand" is a
fatwa issued by an Iranian cleric, and not the top one
in the hierarchy, in April last year. Further, all
that it says of any substance is "to seize the first
possible opportunity to fill the power vacuum in the
administration of Iraqi cities." This would seem to
refer to peaceful means and I don't see anything
objectionable with the advise, or with the Iranians
giving it. (That the Shiite clerics communicate with
each other is hardly an extraordinary discovery.)

The article also incorrectly referes to fatwa as
"edict", and to Muktada Al-Sadr as a 'cleric,' which
he is not. (Though his father was and had great
influence.) I doubt that this will work to blame Iran
for an uprising caused by numerous US blanders, the
most recent one being the closing down of a newspaper,
about which I posted here.

O.K.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37881]