[lit-ideas] Re: I'm Not A Foot-Ball Hero, But ...

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 07:50:10 EST

"And  to relate this a little more to the ancient Greeks, there is no
conflict between  doing all to the glory of God and training for or fighting a
war.
Representation had a place in the Trojan War.  Heroes were asked to
represent their respective sides."

Indeed.

In  any case, there must be something about "American" football. I seem to
have  found the lyric in a Japanese website mentioned below.

-----

Re:  representation, I enjoyed your comments. I was reading this book by
Archetti,  "Masculinities in Polo" (he teaches at some continental university
--
continent  of Europe that is -- and trust them to use 'masculinities' if a book
is to sell  in academia nowadays.

Anyway,  Archetti did some good research into the polo tradition of Buenos
Aires. I was  pleasantly surprised to read the very many manuscript notes, by
one John Trail,  who 'competed' in the Olympics with polo. Yep, them's were the

days.

In  any case, Traill being some sort of an Anglo (or Anglo-Argentine), he
eventually  had to represent England -- rather than Argentina. And he accepted
do so, on  condition, the records show, that the English team were not to
play against the  Argentine team.

A  dual 'loyalty' like that was indeed a minus for Mr. Traill --.

I  should revise the winners at the Olympics (of Ancient Greece). From what I
 recall, there's a record of the NAME of the winner ('individual glory') as
it  were, but _also_ the 'town and village' they came from.

Sorry  Riverside County sounds so parochial. It's fascinating though how
loyalties  change and representativeness nobody gives a damn anymore. Think
Stephen  Beckman, playing for something like Orange County! -- and the
Born-within-the-Sound-of-Bow-Bells soccer hero made his claim to fame in
Manchester! (Or
was it Arsenal?)

----

You  are right that the desire to lose is not normal. I suppose this leads us
back to  volunteer versus conscript, and how one's motives may be 'impure'
and all that  (if it's the desire of money that is the root of all evil).

Talking  of games, though, we should pay a little tribute to Joan Huizinga.
He wrote this  boring book, "Homo Ludens", which must be some Graeco-Classical
root to it.  While not talking of team sport and competitive spirit, his idea
-- taken on  later by psychologists -- is that 'game' is the idyllic child's
scenario where  no external pressures are permitted. Watching a 'kid' playing
with another 'kid'  in not necessarily competitive 'games' may be something
that seems more remotely  connected with the atavistic or ancestral _hunting_
(and thus  warlike)
drive.

Hunting  (aggressive towards one's potential food) should be distinguished
from violence  of the type (defense/offense) memorized by Hobbes in "man is a
wolf to another  man" (very difficult to conceptualize metaphor if you ask me).

Cheers,

J.  L. Speranza
      Buenos Aires, Argentina

_http://tkoj.blogspot.com/2005/07/im-tko-in-ladys-boudior.html_
(http://tkoj.blogspot.com/2005/07/im-tko-in-ladys-boudior.html)

Some lines seem missing. But the CD is always available for those  interested.

Note the typical music-hall (or 'vaudeville' burlesque as it's also called)
with things like the 'centre' and the letters for his 'stuff'. In the last
version of the refrain he seems to replace 'dog' by 'bear'.

          I'm not a football  hero but
   I'M A BEAR IN A LADY'S BOUDOIR

                            Words and Music by Cliff Edwards
                                             1930

--- Rec. and compiled in CD, "Listen to the Banned" -- Risque songs of the
20s and 30s.

                          VERSE 1

        You may talk about your  colleges,
             --  Fair Harvard and old Yale.
All the Universities whose banners brave the gale.
        It's the football players  as their glory and renown.

REFRAIN

            I never  went to college
            but I  know I've been to town.
I may not  be a football player
            but I'm  a star with a beautiful girl.

VERSE 2

        You never see me in the thick of  a fight
        I do my scoring mostly at  night.
I never tackle any  dummy
        I've played from near and  far,

REFRAIN 2

          no I ain't, no I'm  not a football hero,
          but I'm a bear in a  lady's boudior.

VERSE 2

They football on the  gridiron
               where the ground is rough and hard.
I do my playing on  the dival,
                 the ladies all say I'm a triple-threat man.

Refrain 2

I never have to call for  time out
        For I'm always up to par.

oh I ain't, no I'm  not a football hero,
          but I'm a bear in a  lady's boudior.

VERSE 3

          I never fought for  "Alma Mater", because *she* never fought for
_me_.
They boys get a  letter for not playing rough
          I should get an  alphabet for doing my stuff.

I'm pretty good a  centre rushing
          That's the  place I really start.

Oh I may not be, I'm  not a football hero
          But I'm a dog in a  lady's boudior.

-----

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.

Town: