[lit-ideas] I'll Make A Man Of Anyone Of You

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 23:59:04 EDT

Good, Larry!

----

And I'm glad you were not  offended.

Anyway, I was using 'soldier' metaphorically, or extensively  (rather than
intensely). I may have meant 'mercenary' (Just joking!). But  seriously, I
THINK, 'soldier' IS related to 'salary', but I'm not sure. In any,  case it
SEEMS to be related to 'wage' (as in "Wager" :)). In any case,  'mercenary'
is. I SHOULD CHECK the etymology of 'soldier' or 'mercenary'.

This was indeed, the old Roman idea, when they had to recruit PAID army.
And perhaps it relates to Veronica Caley's rather casual remark that "it is a
 pity when a soldier doesn't have a better way to earn a life", which I
thought  was pretty offensive!

-------

So, anyway, I'm reminded of "I'll  make a man of anyone of you", the song
where it's all about 'taking the  shilling', which I ALSO finds offensive.

---- (The song features in "Oh,  Oh, Oh, it's a lovely war").

Anyway, back to more detailed comment on  Helm:

In a message dated 5/26/2010 11:07:32 P.M.,  lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
In what respect could I have been  offended?  I was not a "soldier" but a
"Marine."

--- Apologies about that. I was using 'soldier' generally. I wonder if you
know of people who are not, strictly, soldiers, but call themselves
'soldiers'.  (i.e. that they use 'soldier' generally).

"When I went through Boot Camp, Combat Training, Advanced Combat Training,
it was assumed (our instructors not utterly recovered from the high
casualty  rates suffered as the Marines "Island hopped" in the Pacific during
World
War  II) that even though we were mere PFCs at the time, our corporals,
sergeants and  lieutenants "might be" killed off; so we were taught to think
beyond our duties  as PFCs and learn to function in those higher grades just
in case we had to take  over when our immediate superior was killed."

That's interesting. I suppose it was a sensible policy: to work vis a vis
what may happen if others die. I suppose not a lot of people work  like
that, and I know a few who would be at a total loss if those  who they depend
on
DIE.

Helm continues:

"I don't know what John Wager means  by "ambiguity and independent
judgment."  It didn't seem like we had that  in the Marine Corps.  At least not
"ambiguity.""

That's very good. Grice has this silly maxim, "Avoid ambiguity" -- so the
point on ambiguity by Wager was too general to be true. So I'm relieved that
you  take issue with the second, more important bit, about 'independent
judgement'. I  liked your qualifications about it, which shed light (or other)
on Wager's  points.

Helm:
"We had "independent judgment" in regard to determining the best way to do
something.  That is, independent judgment followed by a voiced opinion
which would count when someone of a higher rank made the final decision --
unless we were to be on our own in some operation; then our "independent
judgment" prevailed."
It's VERY good you had a voiced opinion. That IS pretty rare, and I would
think Wager knows of scenarios or reminiscences when soldiers DON'T have the
 right to a voiced opinion. As a consequence, their opinions, some of which
ARE  voiced, are never thought of as flowing from the judgement
(independent or not  -- "Kiss me goodnight, Sargeant Major" -- "Sargeant Major,
be a
mother to me").
Helm: "Of course I don't mean by "independent" something counter to the
good of operation or our fellow Marines.  I mean, determining for ourselves
the best way to get the job done."
I assume this applies to the second case, when there was no real
'superior', and "we were to be on our own in some operation". Where perhaps
the 'we'
is ambiguous. If it meant an operation where Lawrence Helm was to  be on
HIS own in some operation"
i.e.
"unless [I was] to be on [my] own in some operation; then  [my]
'independent judgement' prevailed".
--- I would think the subscenario here would be if you allowed your
inferiors (opposite of superior) to have voiced opinions.
The philosopher that I am, I would hold seminars on each point, alla Grice,
 and taking cancellable implicatures, with the result that nobody would be
even  marching. Ah well.

J. L. Speranza

"