[lit-ideas] "Il Naso di Speranza"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:08:30 EDT

I am reading a book on _The English Channel_ (Viking Press, by N. Calder)
and he mentions a geographical accident on the coast of Devon:

         "Hope's Nose"

-- this transalates as "Il Naso di Speranza", and I wonder if it is related
to my seafaring ancestors -- in a way that I can claim some land there.

If note, I'm still curious why the sailors named this 'the nose of Hope' --
implicating that it (the nose) was somewhat different from the nose of the
other  six virtues.

Any lead welcome,

Cheers,

JL