[lit-ideas] ISPs are blocking outgoing email

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:30:01 -0800

SBC and Verizon, along with other large ISPs, got the bright idea to block port
25 for all
outgoing email to servers other than their own.

If you are using SBC or Verizon DSL and you notice that you can't send email,
this is the
problem. Don't waste time by calling their tech support; they're clueless on
this one.

There are two solutions:

1) Temporary Solution: Switch your outgoing SMTP server from whatever you're
using
(smtp.whatever.com) to SBC's smtp server (smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com). Open your
email, select
the account, and modify its properties. Checkmark the "My server requires
authentication"
and click Settings. Enter your SBC account name (for example,
hillaryclinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx )
and your SBC password, and click Remember Settings.

If you have several computers on servers on the DSL line, just use the same
account name and
password for all of them.

2) Better Solution (but takes longer) if you use SBC: Go to
http://help.sbcglobal.net/servabuse.php and select Abuse Type = "**Opt Out 25"
and type
"Please let me opt out of Port 25 blocking." In 12 hours or so (or longer), SBC
will unblock
their blocking of your Port 25.

Hang on to this email. The ISPs are s slowly blocking this through their
service areas. If
you notice that you can't send email, this info will solve your problem.

If you use SBC or Verizon and you haven't been blocked yet, we suggest that you
go ahead and
request to opt out of their blocking. Otherwise, they will block your email and
it will take
a day or two for them to unblock it.

Pass this on to your friends, colleagues, and other lists.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com