[lit-ideas] Re: I wonder if this counts...

  • From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <torgfje2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:13:19 +0100

KaZaA Media Desktop is a peer-to-peer file sharing application using the
FastTrack protocol; it is commonly used to exchange mp3 music files and
is (as of 2003) the most popular application for this purpose. It is also
increasingly being used to exchange movie files. It can be downloaded
free and is financed by the spyware and adware installed as default with
the main product. KaZaA and the FastTrack protocol are the brainchild of
the Scandinavians Niklas Zennstr=F6m and Janus Friis and were introduced i=
March 2001 by their Dutch company Consumer Empowerment. Today the rights
to the KaZaA application are held by Sharman Networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KaZaA

Boardwatch: MP3.com, a paid-for online music service, just announced it
is closing its European office and looking for a buyer for its U.S.
operation. It failed to make a profit. Analysts say that while free music
services such as KaZaA exist, the pay-for-it model won=92t work. Do you
agree?

Zennstrom: First of all KaZaA is not a music service, but that=92s
semantics. Although people are using file sharing to get music for free
there is always room for others to sell music. People buy a lot of
bottled water, they pay for it, but you can also get free water from the
tap.

More: http://www.boardwatch.com/document.asp?doc_id=3D36886&site=3Dboardwa=
tch

Good luck.

-t

On 25 Apr 2004 at 16:04, Erin Holder wrote:

> Kazaa is what Napster used to be and what Morpheus is.  I'm glad you can
> share in my misery.  I have two papers due tomorrow (one almost done and=
 the
> other half done) and an exam at 2pm and then an exam on Friday.  But
then,
> then, oh yes, THEN I am FREE! (for two weeks).   I am sure we will come
out
> of this alive.  Actually, I'm not sure, but if I go to sleep at 5am and
wake
> up at 10am I still have, in total, approximately 16 hours with which to
pull
> this off.
>
> Erin

And