[lit-ideas] Re: I shall appreciate the opinion of native speaker sof English on the correctness fo the judgment in the last line (to the effect that the sentence can mean and can only mean THE BOY WHO LOST IS LEFT

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:45:28 -0600

I read it as: "Is the boy on the left lost?"  --"Left" being politically
left, of course.

Or perhaps it could be read as: "Is the left boy lost?"  "Left" being
politically left, of course.

Or perhaps it could be read metaphorically as: " Is the Left a lost boy?"
"Left" being politically left, of course.

Or perhaps "left" could be read as: "left" as in "clowns to the left of me,
jokers to the right" -- maybe it has nothing to do with politics --- naw,
everthing has to bo with politics.

Mike Geary
the Left of Memphis