[lit-ideas] Hyphenated words

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 03:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

Another thing that I wonder is if there's a rule on is hyphens, specifically
when there are two words that modify a word, like, for example low rent address
(from the song).  Is it low-rent address or low rent address?  It seems to me
that if the phrase can be more or less one thought, it's hyphenated, otherwise
it's not.  A three story building for example would not be hyphenated, or would
it?  A three-story building, hyphenated doesn't look right.  I usually err on
the side of less hyphenating and limit hyphens to long-term, three-fold, that
kind of thing.  Follow up is another.  Is it a follow-up examination but he
will follow up with an examination?  How about follow ups?  There were many
follow ups on this issue, or many follow-ups on this issue.  Follow ups looks
strange.  This may be just one of those convention things again, neither right
nor wrong either way, but done more one way than the other by no particular
rule.  Thoughts
 would be appreciated, if any.

Andy