[lit-ideas] Re: How elementary, elementary?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:59:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  --- Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: >
> > --- Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > > "The cat is on the mat" -- elementary
> > > Donal McEvoy writes in reply to R. Henninge:
> > > Are you claiming that that a name like "cat"
> that
> > > can be analysed in terms of
> > > other names (eg. leg, head, tooth) can be an EP?
> >
> > A cat is not a 'name.'
>
> What? You may be sure I meant the term 'cat' is a
> name of the object cat? Is
> this not true? Why?

*First, a cat is not an 'object.'More importantly,
here, the word 'cat' is not a name because it is not
tied to one entity in reality in the way 'Tom' or
'Tekumseh' is. One would expect the distinction
between proper names and generic nouns to be clear to
an elementary school pupil, in the upper grades it
least.

> >Further, a cat cannot be
> > analysed simply in terms of a sum of its bodily
> parts.
>
> Where did I claim this? The question is whether it
> is an elementary term or
> name and how is it? And if not what is.

*Right there where you did. Possibly you meant 'the
concept of cat', but it does not really make any
substantial difference.

> > Mr. McEvoy is using fancy vocabulary and shortcuts
> > like "EP" to cover for superficial and flawed
> > analysis.
>
> No "analysis" is perhaps more superficial and flawed
> than making broad,
> opinionated comments like this one without any real
> argument to substantiate
> them.

*There were two examples taken from two randomly
picked sentences. I should hardly be inclined to spend
more time on the matter.

> O.K.

No, it is not.

*I suggest that you refrain from commenting on my
name, or acronyms thereof, and focus instead on
improving your thinking and writing.

O.K.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash