[lit-ideas] Re: Hitting first

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:55:15 EDT

This is a totally bizarre notion, I realize, but is there any possibility
that altercations might be addressed by dialogue before physical aggression
became necessary, as a last resort?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Hitting first  Date:
6/14/06 12:47:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Omar: Hitting first is very important in fights,  especially
psychologically.

I learned some martial arts techniques  from a man who
trained Navy SEALS, DEA, and such. These JKD techniques
distill the best techniques from dozens of martial arts
schools. They  are geared toward streetfighting and rapidly
ending fights.

Fighting  technique has various ranges, and particular
techniques that are appropriate  for each range. Since most
streetfights end up on the ground, a thorough  knowledge of
Brazilian jiu jitsu is favored. In addition, so-called "dojo
rules" are thrown out the window. One must be able to muster
killer  instinct and engage in "dirty" tactics like
eye-gouging and biting. Nasty,  nasty stuff.

I learned several things from the sparring and training. One
is how easily human beings can be killed. We are delicate
and fragile  creatures, and can be killed by someone's thumb,
properly applied. Another  thing I learned is not to get in
fights, and only fight if it is impossible  to escape.

Weapons are no better. Though I learned some things about
knife fighting and weapons skills, I would never use any of
them unless  my life depended on it.  I saw a training video
in which the same  instructor gave a little girl a black
magic marker (the "knife") and told  her to mark up a group
of Marines. The Marines were instructed to try gently  to
block and evade the knife. In a few moments, all the guys
were  covered with long black lines.

Streetfighting is so ugly and dangerous, I  cannot understand
why someone would knowingly invite a fight. A friend I
sparred with had someone provoke him into a fight, but he
found a very  good solution: he blocked every punch his
opponent threw and pushed him away  each time. Finally the
would-be attacker got the message and backed  off.