[lit-ideas] Re: History

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 03:09:11 -0500

David: So what will George, whose poll numbers are low but who is more likely to be motivated by a sense that he wants to achieve what is "right for America," likely do? Something decisive. Something strong.

Eric: Like Clinton bombing the aspirin factory in Sudan in what his detractors claimed was an attempt to distract from Monica?

Thing is, given the degree of partisan distrust, we'll never know for sure whether a Presidential action was a decisive act to counter an urgent threat, or a political ploy to enhance a politician's image.

What a pickle for cynics! I prefer to believe that Clinton had real reasons for bombing the aspirin factory and that Bush has real reasons for his actions. I might be wrong. Clinton and Bush could be merely scamming us. But the kind of nihilistic void that such a position creates is one I'd prefer not to inhabit.