[lit-ideas] Re: Herman Wouk's mini-series

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:13:21 -0600

Eric's response to my response to Helm's disparaging the Peace Makers is very funny. I enjoyed it thoroughly even though it is premised on a misconception. A warmonger is not as he presumed "someone who -- either from careful study and reflection, or from persuasion by propaganda -- forcefully advocates war or warlike policies." My definition of a warmonger is one who forcefully advocates the killing of however many people it takes to ensure that one's self-interest is served. Such advocacy is usually clothed in appeals to patriotism or religion or racial superiority or economic necessity or some noble ideal such as 'democracy'. As a cultural ethos in the West, warmongering typically expresses itself in glorification of those who excel as executives of killers and for whom public statues are erected, and in generic glorification of those who paid the ultimate price for the warmongers' self-interests -- almost always someone of a lower socio-economic class to whom posthumous medals are given and in whose name public speeches are made though the names forgotten. Abstract heroism is preached to the young. Always the buying and selling of human life for the interests of the wealthy and powerful. "A few good men." "A holy jihadist." True believers all, aren't we? It's been that way for forty thousand years. The time has come for some kind of "truth in advertising law" to be passed, or at least the posting of a warning label: "Caveat milites: The life you're about to take or give up is not for the reasons you've been told." Yes, indeed, the time has come long since to put an end to that old lie "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori".

Mike Geary
yes, I would defend myself and my loved ones against aggression -- just in case anyone doesn't understand the difference between self-defence and warmongering.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>