[lit-ideas] Here's the high paying jobs

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:59:20 EDT

Hi,

Of course, the fellow you like to read may  be thinking of these jobs.  Now,
these are fairly well-paying jobs (of  course, taking them away from people
like my neighbor who, when he is downsized  like the woman across the street
was, won't be able to find a comprable position  because of the influx of those
willing to work for so much less...but that is,  after all, his problem and he
did complain once about my yard not being as great  as he wanted it to be.

On one hand, I'm glad that we are giving  people who have great educations
from other countries a place to go to hone  their skills so that they can then
return home in a couple of years with  experience and open up competing firms
(I can send you that information if you  would like)

Still--looking at these young ones coming  up the ladder and not able to
create lives better than their parents is  troubling.  (esp with the cuts in
the
education world, the National Science  Foundation, etc.)   The traditional
conservative in me has great  problems with how we are not taking care of our
own.

The part of me which wants to take care of all my young  ones is horribly
horribly concerned.

But, perhaps these are the jobs that the article you  cited is looking
at--for they DO pay a bit better than what a tyical IT guy  has--and it is
cheaper
to higher someone already trained in the newest  technology than it is to
assist him/her with new or continuing education or  re-training.

Not very patriotic, but hey.  As was once noted on  this List of Ours, we, as
regular folk, are  asked to be patriotic  when we can give our lives or
children's lives--or our money.  Otherwise,  we are to be be glad that those
companies are able to compete in a  market-driven economy which has no reason
care for the Other.  (Of  course, I do think that when companies stop caring
for
the Other that it causes  people to either identify with the victimizers or
[more  rarely] identify with the victims.  It's one reason why people really
do
not care for the Other any longer, why there is no loyalty to shareholders by
 those in upper or upper middle management, why there is such  deception,
lack of customer service and lack of ethics--why bother when no  one else does.

If there is something to that trickle down theory...well,  it works all ways.

People to grow and develop and BE--to be nurtured, to  be encouraged, to be
walked through to the other side...

Not going to happen while we have the  selfishness around which abounds.

Okay, everyone.  Sounds like we have a victimizer  in our midst....<sigh>
Just remember, he is an outcome of the  market-based economy which no longer
cares for the Other...

He can learn to Go Deep.  Dig to the inside  core...He can grow.  He's here.
There is Hope.

Lighting a candle in the darkness,
Marlena in Missouri

MAY 04, 2005 MAY 04, 2005 <NOBR>Federal officials will open the doors to an
additional 20,000 foreign  workers under the H-1B visa program beginning May
12, the U.S. Citizenship and  Immigration Services department said today
(download  PDF).
USCIS also said that the visas would be granted only to foreign  workers with
at least a master's-level degree from a U.S. academic institution.
Congress approved the additional 20,000 visas last year after  U.S.
technology firms and academic groups complained that the reduced  65,000-worker
cap was
too low to meet demand. Opponents of the controversial  visa cap, which had
previously been set at 195,000, argue that the influx of  skilled foreign
workers is costing U.S. citizens and permanent residents jobs.
The 65,000 H-1B visas approved by Congress for the fiscal year  that began
last Oct. 1 were taken in a day.
The release of the 20,000 additional visas comes after a delay  and some
controversy. Last month, USCIS roiled backers of the cap increase when  it said
that the 20,000 additional visas would be available to all qualified
applicants
-- not just those holding an advanced degree from U.S. universities (see
story).
Sandra Boyd, who heads Compete America, a Washington-based group
representing more than 200 corporations and universities, said that change
would  be
contrary to the intent of the H-1B Visa Reform Act of 2004. Evidently, USCIS
agreed.
In an interview today, Boyd said the agency had made the "right
interpretation" of the law with the regulations that will be published in the
Federal
Register on May 12. She also said the agency's apparent indecision over  how to
handle the visa allocation created much uncertainty for U.S. employers,  as
well as for prospective visa-holding employees.
"There was a lot of confusion about whether people would be  offered jobs,"
said Boyd. "It made it impossible to plan, and it all seemed  pretty
unnecessary."
Tech industry groups had asked Congress last fall to approve  more than
20,000 additional visas. If the visas being released next week are  quickly
claimed
-- as some immigration attorneys have been predicting -- tech  groups are
likely to cite that as a reason to raise the visa cap further.
Last week, H-1B visa supporters got some help from Microsoft  Corp. Chairman
Bill Gates, who said that preventing "smart people" from entering  the country
by placing a cap on H-1B visas "doesn't make sense." (see story)
But in an interview with Computerworld this week (see story), Gerald Cohen,
founder and  CEO of New York-based Information Builders Inc., said Gates is
"full of it. He's  going there [to China and India] because it's just  cheaper."