[lit-ideas] Re: Heat (variation on Revolution)

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:38:09 -0700

Julie wrote:
>This heat, humidity, unusually high swarms of flies and mosquitoes are
>>turning me agoraphobic.

ck: YES! I've been contending that this anxiety response to an overheated
environment qualifies as a form of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Even in a
hot climate like the Central Valley of CA (Fresno, that is), an upsurge in
temperature--to 110 from the usual 95 to 100-- turns many people into hermits.
That natural, even life-saving response often generalizes into behavior that
resembles agoraphobia. Or becomes agoraphobia, especially in people with a
tendency towards anxiety disorders. (Uh, did this explanation reek of
psychobabble? Gotta work on that...)

best,

Carol 99

        Date: 8/14/06 4:20:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  > I was responding to the comments by Rellikgnik on the Amazon
  site not to
  > Lawrence.  I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.

  it was clear, Helen; I added in a comment of Lawrence's.

  > It is too hot for a Canadian -

  ah -- yes; it was too hot here for Brits in July and early in
  August,
  and will be again;  not as hot as it is there but high 80s and
  very humid.

  > My daughter finally got home late last night after a
  near-accident in a
  > torrential downpour in South Carolina.

  I had a homecoming like that once... at least she is home now.

  > wishing she were sitting in her mother's garden with a glass of
  herb tea and
  > dubonnet

  I like dubonnet and I like your mother's garden.  Mine is
  unfortunately
  extraordinarily scruffy, but I may sit out in it again now it's
  cooler

  Judy