[lit-ideas] Re: Headlines

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:40:34 +0000 (GMT)

>Brill/

and not too disgraceful... The previous German ambassador had to pop up to
remonstrate about tabloid banner headlines, some, pretty gross

Our newspaper doesn't do tease or wit; it goes for headlines with long
explanatory elaboration,

oh heavens. Yes.  I have noticed your papers are more formal.  "Mr Blair" and
so on.

Goodness that camel headline's dire.

>Imagine if British headline writers got work moonlighting on academic
titles, "Virgin on the >Ridiculous; Post-humorous Discourse on the Reign
of Elizabeth 1."]

>Perhaps others might like to give the task a try?

I am no good at all at British headlines -- Virgin on the Ridiculous,
incidentally, reminds me of one of our leading practicioners -- maybe someone
else is

Judy Evans, Cardiff