[lit-ideas] Re: Happiness or Meaning?

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:26:56 -0700 (PDT)

I think it's hubristic to think that little human ants with life spans the
length of a quark in relation to an unimaginably vast and virtually timeless
cosmos can have any meaning.  Or even in relation to nothing at all, especially
given that society takes away what little there is, giving humans a couple of
decades before they're "over the hill".

But, meaning aside, let's try intelligence.  I'm reading a book on bacteria
called Good Germs Bad Germs by Jessica Sachs.  She doesn't say it, at least not
so far, but I'm coming away from this thinking that bacteria are unbelievably
intelligent.  Chances are they can't discuss Kant (but then neither can I), but
in the 70 or years that we've been battling them, they've thwarted us at every
turn, and they do it with unbelievable cleverness and unbelievable speed.  If
one has an opponent that can outwit one literally at every turn, often
overnight, and do it consistently for 70 years, and ultimately win the war,
which bacteria are definitely doing, that's intelligence.  Based on this book I
understand why pharma gave up on developing antibiotics.

Bacteria are part and parcel of our human package.  There are at least ten
bacteria to every human cell, and we have many trillions of cells.  They
evolved into the system along with our cells, and like it or not, bacteria are
as much a part of us as our cells.  In fact, they exist so synergistically with
us that they often tell our cells what to do.  Without them, we die.

The problem isn't with bacteria.  It's with population density, otherwise known
as civilization.  At the densities at which we evolved, bacteria, even disease
causing bacteria, are absolutely harmless.  (In fact, Jared Diamond makes that
point about malaria, that malaria wasn't a problem in Africa until the
Europeans changed the demographics at which point malaria became a problem,
including for the Europeans.)

At any rate, reading this book I really think our definition of intelligence
needs to be broadened significantly.  Nature is intelligent and nature is wise,
and far longer lived than the geological seconds of our existence to which we
may in the not too distant future no longer be a party to.

Our big brains make us merely miserable and destructive.  We are driven
arguably almost exclusively by basest instincts and desires (greed, power, sex
as end all and be all, etc. etc.).  Whence, then, comes this idea that humans
are so intelligent?  Where is the proof?