[lit-ideas] Re: Halloween & the crow

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:36:55 -0700

On Oct 31, 2011, at 10:01 PM, Lawrence Helm wrote:
>  I can’t imagine any sort of bird seriously attacking her, and since this is
> the behavior of a bird protecting eggs or young, I suspect crow eggs or young
> to have been nearby, but unless they were on the ground Sage would have been
> no threat to them.

I thought, "surely that's an odd time of year for young."  And, "maybe it was a
raven."  But some crows have a second brood and there are no ravens near you:

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/AmericanCrows.asp
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/crowfaq.htm

David Ritchie,
not understanding quite how Browns and Colts resulted in Ravens,
Portland, Oregon