[lit-ideas] Re: Had I been born ten thousand years ago, I'd be dead by now.

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:40:12 -0700

Brill.  Someone else, someone who writes nice [add Memphis accent here]
carrying on.  I am not alone on the planet after all.  Who knew?

> I know all you feral cat fans will be pleased to know that a "capture and
> release" clan descended on the apartment complex where I live with about 13
> feral cats and as far as I can tell has capture them all, neutered them and
> returned them.  Good work, I say.  I don't think the Catholic Church approves
> though.  I don't think it's fair that animals can be sterilized but not
> humans.  We're animals after all.  Maybe that's why priests like little boys,
> they don't have to worry about pregnancy.

An Italian vet, a friend, explained that where she comes from there is some
kind of colony law.  If a group of cats is of a certain size, they are
untouchable.  One or two cats..., you can encourage them to move on.  Once
they've taken over the Coliseum, you're hooped.  Noli me tangere, I'm a cat.

> Memphis Light Gas and Water turned off my electrical power today, just
> because I haven't paid my bill. Hrrrmmph!  But they'll have to get up a lot
> earlier if they want to beat me.  I have about a mile of extension cords, and
> I know where the "House" outlet is.  I'm sitting here under a fan typing away
> on my computer,   My refrigerator is still humming along, a lamp lights the
> bathrooms and one in the kitchen and front room -- : )  it's like nothing has
> happened.  And my landlord is paying for it all.  Life is sweet.

As she says, "Good-a luck-a."

> I've known for quite some time now that if I had been born in
> pre-techological time, my physical size and my poor vision would have
> condemned me to Evolution's unfit. Unable to throw a spear with any
> authority, unable to keep up with the running  herd of long-legged hunters, I
> would surely have been shunted aside, left to die  (sad, isn't it?).  Bur
> rejoice!  I was born in a age of optics!  And of grocery stores!  I'm alive!
> I'm alive! -- that's the thought behind my Subject line.
I'm reminded of a war spoof sketch.  Where do they put the folk who can't see
well?  At the Front.

> Have fun, see clearly and remember: Helen Keller the next time you feel put
> upon.

Good wishes,
keep putting the drops in,

David Ritchie,