[lit-ideas] Grue, Bleen, and the Shades in Between

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:23:09 EDT

Judy quotes from the online resource:

>English-speaking
>anthropologists affectionately squish “green”  and “blue”
>together to call Welsh an example of a “grue”  language.

Must say I find the use of 'affectionately' slightly patronising.

>JL's argument is that grue is part of the philosophical lexicon, not  the
>anthropological

Well, these affectionate English-speaking (does that mean,  derogatorily,
monolingual?) anthrpologists are starting to interest me.

At least we know _one_ philosopher who thought 'grue' witty -- and I think
the coined the word around the 1950s. I don't know dates for this 'affectionate
 English-speaking anthropologists'.

And as Judy notes, Joycian (or Joyceish, as she prefers) predates them all,
I would think, being 1939