[lit-ideas] "Grace" taught in all religions?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:28:59 -0800

All religions teach grace?  Hmmmm. Grace is a characteristic of
Christianity, but what other religions emphasize Grace?  In Judaism and
Islam you get to heaven by means of what you do, don't you?  If you do good
works, you make it.  If you don't, you don't.  Conservative Catholic and
Protestant Christianity teach that you don't get to heaven by means of what
you do but by trusting in Christ for you salvation.  You are saved by the
grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

Hmmm . . .  I recall a form of Buddhism that would involve what we could
call Grace, Amitabah Buddhism.  If memory serves me, one is able to get to
paradise by calling on the name of Amitabah before one dies -- which strikes
me as a form of grace.  I'd be interested in hearing from Peter Junger on
this.

Lawrence

  _____