[lit-ideas] Re: Good enough and not knowing why

  • From: "David Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:01:46 -0500

Certainly, this pararaph provokes thought.  That thought, though, must,
per se, be of the visceral variety.  We know that science unravels many
of the individual mysteries of the universe, even those of ourselves,
that is, our own experience of said universe; yet, the most significant
question remains:  "Of what importance is big 'S' Science to our actual
experience of the world which surrounds us?"

We might understand the nuances of the functional aspects of existence,
even marvel, relish in them.  I am awed, for example, by most aspects of
cosmology, mathematics, and AI.  But, does it profoundly change the way
in which I experience my life?  Nay, not a whit -- I am, of course,
oversimplifying.  I know that my psycho-biological response to infants,
supranovae, protective/aggressive mimcry, beautiful women, etc. ad
nauseum, is, well, just that, biological.  Yet...

With repect to the intellectual comprehension of 'Law'-ful function, I'm
fascinated, but not moved.  Very little, in fact, moves me (profoundly).
But that which does...the elevation, the revelation, the consternation...
Science will never die, but it has always been, relatively, lifeless.
Humans are, absolutely, obsolete.  Science, however, will (likely) never
define singularly uniuqe perspective(s) .  We are merely animal, but the
animalian experience will always be more complex than a conglomeration of
carbon atoms, neurological sensations, and psychological perceptions.
There is no soul...short of that which we self-generate.

seeking nuance, and eagerly awaiting mechanistic-sentience,
d.

  John McCreery wrote:

    So, while I don't entirely concur with the article's prediction
    of the demise of science, there is a sense in which we have far
    less control and far less understanding (and require it far less)
    in engineering and the sciences than ever before, and there is a
    sense that in some cases, humans are, well, a little obsolete,
    even if wouldn't want to overstate the abilities of computers. We
    are starting to run projects for which we are not well equipped.

  That last paragraph is certainly thought-provoking.
  John

  --
  John McCreery
  The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN