[lit-ideas] Gather, my children, and you will hear...

  • From: Jack Spratt <dosflounder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 17:08:56 -0700 (PDT)

[The following is submitted by the possibly resurrected Andy]

Perhaps some astute observers have noticed a similarity in writing style
between Jack and a presumed deceased (metaphorically speaking) Andy of lit
ideas.  Some, indeed, may wonder how such similarities in style came to be.
Here is the true story, which you will read with your own eyes and which I ask
only that you commit to memory and pass along to your grandchildren.  So,
listen up.  You in the back.  Yeah, you.  Listen up.  Okay.  Once, many years
ago, I tried to recruit a friend, who happens to be a high school history
teacher, to this list.  She didn't want to be recruited and kept saying no,
even as I insisted (I say with some chagrin, but no worse than the brain fever
that cost the country its mortgage crisis).  I sent her posts, finally even
getting her an address (dosflounder) and name.   Finally, eureka, she posted.
And she hated it.  And the adventure died a quick death.  She never mentioned
it again and I never
 mentioned it again.  In the meantime many years later I unsubscribed from the
list and recently remembered the address that by now had collected a lot
of dust but that at least didn't cost me a friendship.  I resurrected it and
wound up posting and now, here I am, Dr. Who, rested and ready (cough) to
travel through space.  Sorry (cough) all that pollen.  Pollen.  Michael
Pollan.  Hey, I read this great book by Michael Pollan...  Actually, I read a
lot of books in the 2+ years I've been away.  So, how's everybody?  Anybody
been doing any space traveling recently?  There is sooo much to talk about, the
world has so changed in two years, one doesn't know where to begin.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time I used to have, but, Rome wasn't built in
a day or so I've heard...

Andy