[lit-ideas] Fwd: Re: Re: "the space of reasons" from Morc Huck Pump

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:32:26 -0230

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 3:44 AM, <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

> -------------> The lack of explicit consideration as to what to do given
> the
> recognition of a conclusion made by oneself or an other does not
> necessarily
> indicate the absence of argument. It may simply indicate the absence of an
> explicit rehearsal of an argument made and acted upon many times in the
> past.
> One's response to the conclusion constitutes a response that is embedded
> within
> an entire pattern of responses making up one's disposition, or what
> Aristotle
> called "habit." Humans are more rational than they recognize. Alas, the
> validity of an argument is not equivalent to the soundness of an argument.

This raises an interesting question: Can an argument exist before it is
articulated? Walter says yes, asserting a world view in which arguments are
waiting to be discovered. I am inclined to say no, asserting a world view in
which arguments are constructed and it makes no sense to talk about their
existence until they have been articulated. Does anyone know a way to
reconcile these views?
John

--
John McCreery