[lit-ideas] Fw: Re: "Natural [Organic] Food" (vs. "Unnatural [Junk] Food")

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:28:05 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
Sent: Aug 31, 2004 10:45 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] "Natural [Organic] Food" (vs. "Unnatural [Junk] Food")

A.A. I wonder what would constitute unnatural food in pre-19th century eras=
?  Uncooked maybe?  Somehow unnatural food and the year 1600 don't mix in m=
y mind.  I think refining came in toward the end of the 19th century, at th=
e same time that wide-scale deficiency diseases emerged.

Andy Amago

=20
We are discussing the natural/non-natural distinction as it applies to _la =
=20
cuisine_.
=20
n a message dated 8/30/2004 9:28:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, =20
John McCreery writes:
For an  alternative view, I recall one of the characters in Bruce=20
Sterling's  science fiction novel _Islands in the Net_, who refuses to=20
eat anything  but chemically reconstituted petroleum. He argues that all=20
natural foods  have evolved over millions of years to be poisonous to=20
predators--how  could you possibly take the risk of eating that stuff.
Interestingly, chemically reconstituted petroleum is not in the OED list of=
 =20
'natural food' -- some quotes 1671 onwards on this interesting phrase =20
collocation.
=20
Cheers,
=20
JL
=20
Cites for 'natural food' in the OED
=20
1671 J SHARP Midwives Bk. IV. viii. 224=20
=20
There is nothing better  after conception, to prevent abortment than good=
=20
*natural food  moderately taken.=20
=20
1683 T  TRYON Way to Health 489=20
=20
Nor [is it] lawful for any of us to eat  Sweet-Meats or delicious Tarts,=20
after we have eaten sufficiently of other simple  & natural Food.=20
=20
1841 F.  MYERS Catholic Thoughts III. =A714. 52=20
=20
There is a considerable  portion of all natural  food..serving rather for t=
he=20
vehicle than for the  substance of our support.=20
=20
1934  H. C. SHERMAN  Food & Health xvii. 160=20
=20
Natural foods,..nature's  wholes of the kinds to which our own bodies have=
=20
been adjusting themselves  throughout our evolutionary history.=20
=20
1999 Healing Arts Festival 1999 Programme 14/2  (advt.)=20
=20
We are a one-stop organic and natural food  supermarket in London.

=20