[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Alcibiades, Nicias & aerie philosophy

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:06:24 -0500

Mike: NO MORE  WAR.  Get it?

Yes, but to quote Steven Wright, "What did Jesus ever do for Santa Claus on his birthday?"

At first, this seems like a bumper sticker along the lines of "No More War!" Sweet but useless. Yet it makes us question our knowledge.

Maybe Jesus does help celebrate Santa's birthday. Maybe we aren't invited. All that wine, happy elves dancing with baby seals, lots of loaves and fishes, Mrs. Claus not having to cook for once, Santa getting expensive gifts from Wise Men, extra-bright and multicolored northern lights, Jesus giving Santa new red suits and better cushions for his sleigh. Maybe Jesus does the same for Mrs. Claus on her birthday, and each of the elves, and the reindeer.

How would we know? Maybe we just weren't invited.

Then someone has to wonder why we weren't invited. Maybe they don't like us or don't consider us friends. A sad thought. Personally I think it was just a mistake and they forgot. Maybe the invitation just got lost in the mail. Didn't check the message machine.

How would we know? I like that question. It's better than being sad.

Eric