[lit-ideas] Re: Four photos of Sage

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 13:04:21 -0500

That first one, Lawrence, is very beautiful. The aesthetic response it elicits, I think, comes from a variety of features. First, the tension between the drama and the dreaminess. Second, the intensity (but lacy lightness) of the foregrounded tree being balanced by the distant, fuzzy heaviness of the mountains. I'm sure there's also something about the golden section and the rule of thirds. And, because the mountains are so far away, the lefthand space almost works like blank space. And lets not forget your beautiful dog... Thanks for putting them up.

Makes me want to put pictures up somewhere. Wait, I have pictures up somewhere...
http://ursulastange.com/iris/index.php
Click on each picture to see the next (there's not too many).

On 01/12/2010 11:49 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

http://www.lawrencehelm.com/2010/12/sight-houndseeing.html

Can photographs be art?Perhaps the consensus is that they can.I have never been convinced of that, but I know that something goes on in the selection, the angle, lighting, arrangement.Perhaps it's a seeking after beauty without precisely creating it as one would if one were painting -- and weren't being too photographic about it.

Lawrence