[lit-ideas] Re: Found Poetry (Dillard)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:09:51 EDT

Note to self:  Read ALL the posts before responding.....

The Weasel piece is absolutely stunning....it has been one of my favourites
for years.  Do you know "Living By Fiction"?   That, to me, is  one of her
most profound works, though Holy the Firm will always be at the top  for me.
It
was the first thing I read of hers, when I was 20-ish in  College, recommended
by my Hebrew prof.  I read it so many times I think I  had it memorized.
"Each day is a god......".  The moth episode  was so powerful, and the struggle
all the way through, to make sense of pain and  suffering.  I love her image of
the kinetic death-dive of Christ.   I've got to get Bronwyn to read it.  I
made her read the first essay (or  series of essays) from Teaching  A Stone on
trip to Arkansas for a  Regional Honors Choir she was in.  She loved
it.......the clown and bear on  the ice floes......the explorers'
experiences....  I
would kill to meet her  in person.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Found Poetry
(Dillard)  Date: 4/25/05 11:24:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_nantongo@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:nantongo@xxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Wager wrote:

> Is it in "Holy the  Firm" that Dillard describes watching a solar eclipse
> from the top of a  moutain in Washington?  It's where she describes
> looking DOWN at  the eastern plains below her, and seeing the darkness of
> half the world  rushing at her at about 5,000 miles per hour.

It's in _Teaching A Stone  To Talk_, in the essay entitled "Total Eclipse."
Dillard writes of: "the  wall of dark shadow . . . speeding at us. We no
sooner saw it than it was  upon us, like thunder. . . . This was the universe
about which we have read  so much and never before felt: the universe as a
clockwork of loose spheres  flung at stupefying, unauthorized speeds. How
could anything moving so fast  not crash, not veer from its orbit amok like a
car out of control on a  turn?"

"Living Like Weasels", a great favorite of mine, is also part of  that
collection. Amazingly, it is available at this site - hope it is  accurately
transcribed:

http://www.courses.vcu.edu/ENG200-lad/dillard.htm

Best,  MN