[lit-ideas] Re: For profit universities

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:39:35 -0800

Judy Evans wrote

I see it mentions the University of Phoenix. There's a private university company here called BPP -- about which I know nothing -- that's owned by the people who own Phoenix.

There was a wonderful kerfuffle here earlier this year when AC Grayling announced he was setting up a new private university with lectures by, among others, Dawkins, Pinker, and (Niall) Ferguson.

Here's its web page

http://www.nchum.org/.

The University of Phoenix is wholly owned by Apollo Corp, an S&P 500 company, traded on the NASDAQ. The owner and CEO of Apollo Corp is one John Sperling. What may be of interest to those who took part in the discussion of the value of a liberal arts degree in these times, is that John Sperling has a BA in history (1948) from Reed. He also has an MA in
history from UC Berkeley, and a PhD in history from Cambridge.

So, that's what a degree (or several) in the liberal arts can get you.

Robert Paul
Mutton College