[lit-ideas] For Eric

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:40:03 -0700

People sometimes complain that fiction is insufficiently factual for their
taste.  Why trust an author who tells lies for a living?  It is possible that
the following tale may appeal to that particular market segment or set of
lifestyle adherents.

Drove north.  Or rather, set off on a Friday afternoon with the declared intent
of driving north.  Broken stoplights on Burnside meant that one hour later we
were still in Portland.

With whizzy new phone, L. looked up umpteen places where we might dine, also
reviews on Yelp.  Eventually settled on exactly the place we probably would
have picked without such aid, a brewpub in Tacoma where the raucous office
workers celebrating Friday's twilight mingled with families on iced-tea and
water-only.

Cashed in accumulated points for a free night in Everett.  Was reminded of that
punchline, "and the second prize is two free nights."  Not an awful motel, one
personned by really very personable people, but not a place I'd recommend.
Breakfast (free): egg-like substance, orange-juice-like substance, coffee-like
substance...polystyrene vessels, plastic implements, all tossed in the garbage
at the end of the meal.  At the next table a family of barrel-shaped
people--nearly as round as they were tall--encouraged their kids to eat.  They
were very successful.

The Canadian border guard thought there was something suspicious about people
coming into her country for a single night.
"Why are you visiting?"
"To see friends."
"It's a long way from Portland."
"We know."
"Why aren't you staying?"
"We have to work on Monday."
She seemed unconvinced; did Canada really need people who behaved this way?

We did have ulterior motives: a friend is recovering from chemotherapy and
seemed ready for a small dose of company; Phoebus Maximus, the daughter of
another friend, was available to be taken out for a helping of decent food;
there was the promise of catching up with D., the ex-cabinet minister turned
painter and "Raging Grannie." (She would join us in the early evening, just as
soon as the Demonstration was done.)  A botanist who used to shoot the tops off
fir trees for a living wanted to know how interested we are in bone china.  We
had run out of Maltesers.

I won't bore you with details.  In broad brush strokes: everyone was well fed,
views on Canada's elections were well aired, and the drive home was well...wet.
 We stopped at the same brewpub on the way back--happy hour, all-you-can-eat
fish and chips--arrived home to find ants.  I believe the house-sitter had
spilled soda; this is not a fact.

David Ritchie,
Portland,